Governor Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) announced that the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Authority (MCCA) has acted upon the governor’s call to return surplus funds to Michigan policyholders and will immediately begin the process of refunding $400 per vehicle to eligible Michigan drivers.
The refund plan submitted to DIFS on December 6 by the MCCA, will return money to Michiganders with an auto insurance policy in force as of 11:59 p.m. on October 31, 2021. Eligible consumers do not need to take action in order to receive a refund.
The surplus funds will be turned over by the MCCA to the insurance companies operating in Michigan by March 9, 2022, and the insurers will be responsible for issuing checks to eligible policyholders. DIFS will direct insurers to issue refund checks to consumers as expeditiously as possible, but in no event later than 60 days after the transfer of funds.
Key Items Regarding Refund
- October 31, 2021 at 11:59pm - Did you have a vehicle insured for road usage?
- Yes- The vehicle is eligible for the $400 per vehicle refund.
- No- Do not expect to receive a refund for this vehicle.
- Eligible policyholders do not need to take any action in order to receive a refund.
- March 9, 2002 – By this date the surplus funds will have be turned over by the MCCA to the insurance companies. Each insurance company will be responsible for issuing checks to their eligible policyholders.
- Refunds will be calculated by taking the number of eligible vehicles on the policy and multiplying that amount by $400. For example: a policy with two cars on the road on 10/31/21 will be calculated 2 x $400 = $800, etc.
- The Department of Insurance Services is directing insurance companies to issue refund checks to consumers as expeditiously as possible, but in no event later than 60 days after the transfer of funds.
- Checks will be mailed by the insurance company to the current billing address on the policy during the refund period. Timing of the mailing date will vary by company.
- May 9, 2022 – All eligible Michigan auto insurance consumers should have received their MCCA refund checks.
Additional Information can be found by Clicking Here